Home   |   Print Page
Site Search
Practice FAQs
Share |

Q.  What can I do about insurance companies denying claims?

A.  Our Government Affairs and External Relations Program is on this!  Members can sign in to receive more information on what to do in a case like this.


Q.  What can you tell me about email scams targeting massage practitioners?

A.  There are several versions of email scams out there targeting massage practitioners.  Most involve someone traveling from another country who wants to receive massage for themselves or a loved one while they are visiting the area in which you practice.  They wish to pay for the massage ahead of time and will send a check or money order in advance.  The amount is for more than what you said you would charge.  They will tell you to go ahead and deposit the check or money order.  The checks or money order that you receive from them will either bounce with insufficient funds or are counterfeit.  Please do not get involved in such email scams.


QIs it OK for an LMP to leave messages for patients at their homes, either on an answering machine or with a family member, to remind them of their appointments?

A. The answer to this question was found on the US Department of Health and Human Services Website:

Yes.  The HIPAA Privacy Rule permits health care providers to communicate with patients regarding their health care. This includes communicating with patients at their homes, whether through the mail or by phone or in some other manner.  In addition, the Rule does not prohibit covered entities (LMP's) from leaving messages for patients on answering machines.  However, to reasonably safeguard the individual's privacy, covered entities should take care to limit the amount of information disclosed on the answering machine. For example, a covered entity might want to consider leaving only its name and number and other information necessary to confirm the appointment, or ask the individual to call back.


A covered entity also may leave a message with a family member or other person who answers the phone when the patient is not at home.  The Privacy Rule permits covered entities to disclose limited information to family members, friends or other persons regarding an individual's care, even when the individual is not present.  However, covered entities should use professional judgement to assure that such disclosures are in the best interest of the individual and limit the information disclosed.


In situations where the patient has requested that the covered entity communicate with him in a confidential manner, such as by alternative means or at an alternative location, the covered entity must accommodate that request, if reasonable. For example: the Department considers a request to receive mailings from the covered entity in a closed envelope rather than by postcard to be a reasonable request that should be accommodated.  Similarly, a request to receive mail from the covered entity at a PO Box rather than at home, or to receive calls at the office rather than home are also reasonable requests.  For more details about health privacy, please see the US Dept. of Health and Human Services Website  www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy.

Q. I have heard that I have to include my license number on my advertising.  Is that true?

A.  Yes, it is the law. RCW 18.108.040 reads:  "A Massage Practitioner's name and license number must conspicuously appear on all of the massage practitioner advertisements."  This means that if you are licensed and are advertising yourself as an LMP in a brochure, phone book display, ad, flyer, website, newspaper ad, etc... You must include your license number in that piece. You must also include your license on the AMTA Find a Massage Therapist Locator Service and on AMTA-WA Local Massage Practitioner Directory that is found on this website.


Q.  How do I know if a class or workshop is approved by AMTA?

A.  AMTA does not approve continuing education classes.  Rather, we provide a definition of types of classes that are acceptable for the AMTA continuing education requirement.  It is the member's responsibility to ensure that a class meets the definition.  Educational programs used to fulfill this requirement, must meet the following general description:


 "An organized education experience directly related to massage therapy, which is offered under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction."



These may be experiential learning, theoretical or research in nature.  Responsible sponsorship includes colleges and universities, massage schools, workshop programs, AMTA sponsored events. (National, Chapter, Unit or Regional) and home study courses. This also includes continuing education programs approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB).  Individual instructors may sponsor their own education program.  Always check your instructor's qualifications before investing in a continuing education experience.  

Q.  How do I become a Continuing Education Provider?

A.  AMTA does not approve providers or courses. 


Q.  What are the CE requirements in WA?


A. WA State addresses providers of Continuing Education in the following WAC 246-830-475



Q.  Can I use the title Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) instead of Licensed Massage Practitioner?


A.  No.  The license in the state of WA is for a massage practitioner.  You may use the term Massage Therapist as long as the word licensed or the initial "L" is not used in conjunction with it.  See : RCW 18.108.040



Q.  How do I become a provider for Labor and Industries?


A. You can find more information on the L&I website in the provider section.

more Calendar

The upcoming calendar is currently empty.

Click here to view past events and photos »

Association Management Software  ::  Legal